Criminal offenses in the field of information technology: features of the investigation
Information in the modern world is recognized as the driving force of progress. The rapid development of information technology
raises the question of the effective functioning of the mechanisms of legal protection of the subjects of information encroachments in
criminal proceedings. The state creates circumstances in which everyone has the right to receive, use and dispose of information, including
the development of legal mechanisms for the protection of information.
The scientific article deals with criminal offenses related to the use of computers, systems and computer networks and telecommunication
networks. Some aspects of the investigation of this category of criminal offenses are investigated. Emphasis is placed on
the fact that information acts as a way of committing criminal offenses, and information and telecommunication networks as a means
of criminal activity.
Improvements in information technology lead to such a negative phenomenon as unauthorized access to information, causing significant
material and moral damage to individuals and legal entities. The number of criminal offenses in this area is constantly increa -
sing, so this phenomenon affects information security in general. The reasons for the growth of criminal offenses in the field of information
technology should be recognized: the imperfection of legislation and the slow pace of the informatization process in the criminal
The reasons for the growth of criminal offenses in the field of information technology should be recognized: the imperfection of
legislation and the slow pace of the informatization process in the criminal procedure sphere.
The investigation of crimes in the field of information technology requires from those authorized to conduct investigations, special
knowledge, attention to detail and the development of reliable techniques and methods that will facilitate a rapid, complete and
comprehensive investigation of criminal proceedings.
The provisions of the Law of Ukraine “On Information”, the draft Law “On Amendments to the Criminal Procedure Code of
Ukraine to Improve the Effectiveness of the Fight against Cybercrime and the Use of Electronic Evidence”, the Convention on Cybercrime
Promising areas of research may be: 1) the introduction of electronic evidence in criminal proceedings (concepts, types, their
receipt and use in criminal proceedings); 2) enshrining at the legislative level the following terms: “cyber security”, “cyberspace”,
2. Kryminal'nyj kodeks Ukrainy (2001): Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy (VVR), № 25-26, st.131. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2341-14#top [in Ukrainian]
3. Kozak N.S. (2013) Kryminal'no-pravova kharakterystyka elektronno-obchysliuval'nykh mashyn (komp'iuteriv), system ta komp'iuternykh merezh i merezh elektrozv'iazku. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats' Irpins'koi finansovo-iurydychnoi akademii (ekonomika, pravo). - Vyp. 2. S. 154-159. [in Ukrainian]
4. Konventsiia pro kiberzlochynnist' (2006): VVR, N 5-6, st.71, 07.09.2005 URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/994_575#Text [in Ukrainian]
5. Amelin O. (2016) Vyznachennia kiberzlochyniv u natsional'nomu zakonodavstvi. Naukovyj chasopys Natsional'noi akademii prokuratury Ukrainy. - № 3. S. 1-10 [in Ukrainian]
6. Proekt Zakonu pro vnesennia zmin do Kryminal'noho protsesual'noho kodeksu Ukrainy schodo pidvyschennia efektyvnosti borot'by z kiberzlochynnistiu ta vykorystannia elektronnykh dokaziv № 4004 (01.09.2020) URL: https://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/ pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=69771 [in Ukrainian]
7. Kurman O.V. (2018) Hrupovyj metod rozsliduvannia zlochynnykh posiahan' na vidnosyny u sferi informatsijnykh tekhnolohij. Pravo i suspil'stvo, 4. S. 252-256. [in Ukrainian]
8. Topchij V.V., Tychyna D.M. (2018) Zapobihannia vykorystanniu suchasnykh informatsijnykh tekhnolohij u zlochynnykh tsiliakh. Pravovyj chasopys Donbasu Tom № 1 (62). S. 159-166. [in Ukrainian]
Kryminal'nyj protsesual'nyj kodeks Ukrainy (2013): Vidomosti Verkhovnoi rady (VVR), № 9-10, № 11-12, № 13, st. 88. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/ 4651-17#n5941 [in Ukrainian]