The relationship between the sovereignty of member states and the supernationality of international organizations
The article presents the result of theoretical and practical study of the relationship between state sovereignty and supranationality
of international organizations. In particular, it is determined that the phenomenon of supranationality of international organizations is
derived from state sovereignty and acts as its external law. It has been shown that, in view of this, supranationality is limited because
it arises through the exercise of sovereignty by states, and, accordingly, is limited by the amount of state sovereignty exercised by states.
The relevant mechanism has also been studied on the example of the functioning of the European Union.
Regarding the theoretical results, the following should be noted. First, it was proved that despite the different approaches of scho -
lars to the understanding of supranationality, definitions of this concept and the separation of its features (properties), in each case,
supranationality is a direct realization of state sovereignty. At the same time, the realization of state sovereignty in relation to such pro -
perties of international organizations as supranational is primary, and supranationality in this case is derivative. In addition, the phenomenon
of supranationality of international organizations due to the fact that it is derived is limited, because supranationality arises
through the exercise of sovereignty by states, and, accordingly, is limited by the amount of state sovereignty exercised by states. That
is why when analyzing the relationship between the supranationality of international organizations and state sovereignty, one cannot
consider the priority of one of the two, because supranationality is in essence a manifestation of state sovereignty.
Regarding the practical results, the author considers it appropriate to emphasize that both the regional international organization –
the EU was studied, and, at the same time, it was proved that all theoretical provisions were reflected in practice, in particular, envisaged
functions, goals and the tasks of the studied international organizations are limited in scope by the manifestation of sovereignty shown
by states, similar to the regulations issued by organizations. Another indication that the state can exercise its sovereignty in any case is
that there is an effective and transparent procedure for leaving these organizations
2. Cohen B.J. (1977) Supranationality. In: Organizing the World's Money. Palgrave Macmillan, London;
3. Levyn Y. D. (2003) Suverenytet. 2-e yzd. SPb.. S. 21 [in Russian];
4. L. Chekalenko. (2005) Mizhnarodni orhanizatsii i suverenitet derzhavy. Stratehichna panorama, s. 56 [in Ukrainian];
5. Shpakovych O. (2012) Nadnatsional'nist' u pravi Yevropejs'koho Soiuzu / O. Shpakovych // Yevropejs'ke pravo. – № 1. – S. 78 [in Ukrainian].
6. Vodiannikov O. (2001) Nadnatsional'nist' u pravi Yevropejs'koho Soiuzu: Goetterdammerung Yevropy chy pereosmyslennia prava? / O. Vodiannikov [Vodiannikov O. Supranationality in the European Union law: Goetterdammerung of Europe or reconsideration of law?] // Biuleten' Ministerstva iustytsii Ukrainy. – № 3. – S. 162–192 [in Ukrainian].
7. Byriukov M. M. (2004) Sovremennoe razvytye Evropejskoho Soiuza: mezhdunarodno-pravovoj pokhod: dys. … dokt. iuryd. nauk: spets. 12.00.10 / M. M. Byriukov [Biriukov M. Modern development of the European Union: An international legal approach: Dissertation for the Doctor in Juridical Science, specialty: 12.00.10]. – M. – 334 s [in Russian].
8. Feschenko A. S. (1988) Yavlenye nadnatsyonal'nosty v deiatel'nosty mezhdunarodnykh orhanyzatsyj / A. S. Feschenko [Feshchenko A. The phenomenon of supranationality in the activities of international organizations] // Sovetskyj Ezhehodnyk mezhdunarodnoho prava. 1987. – M.: Nauka. – S. 159–171 [in Russian].
9. Muravjov V. I. (2002) Pravovi zasady rehuliuvannia ekonomichnykh vidnosyn Yevropejs'koho Soiuzu z tretimy krainamy (teoriia i praktyka) / V. I. Muravjov [Muraviov V. Legal basis for regulating economic relations of the European Union with third countries (theory and practice)]. – K.: Akadem-Pres. – 425 s. [in Ukrainian].
10. Popov M. S. (2006) Pravovoj status mezhdunarodnykh ekonomycheskykh orhanyzatsyj / Dyssertatsyia / Moskva. [in Russian].
11. Chernychenko S. V. (1999) Teoryia mezhdunarodnoho prava: v 2 t. / S. V. Chernychenko. – T. 2: Starye y novye teoretycheskye problemy [Chernichenko S. Theory of international law: Volume 2: Old and new theoretical problems]. – 531 s. [in Russian]
12. Mescheriakova O.M. (2010) Nadnatsyonal'nost' v prave Evropejskoho soiuza y problema suverenyteta: avtoref. dyss. ... dokt. iuryd. nauk.. M. [in Ukrainian].
13. Potemkyna O. (2013) Yu. Nadnatsyonal'nyj y mezhpravytel'stvennyj metody yntehratsyy v prostranstve svobody, bezopasnosty y pravosudyia Evropejskoho Soiuza, [in Ukrainian].
14. Dohovir pro zasnuvannia Yevropejs'koi Spil'noty ( Dohovir pro zasnuvannia Yevropejs'koho ekonomichnoho spivtovarystva) [in Ukrainian].
Dohovir pro Yevropejs'kyj Soiuz, 7 liutoho 1992 roku [in Ukrainian].